My photo
I am a contributor to NXT-Progs.blogspot.com. My YouTube Channel is www.youtube.com/user/YoungerDykstras

10/08/2011

ECD Part 1: Searching

This is the first of a series on English Country Dancing. My thoughts on ECD, on the people attending, and the thoughts about ECD of those who I've talked to.

First off, I probably need to clarify that, yes, I am fine with dancing. I like dancing with my sister best though, it's much easier to talk.

The first thing I think is weird about the English Country Dances is that some people's motives are solely for acquiring a soul mate. Finding a spouse based on what can be seen at a dance seems like a bad idea.

I talked to someone who told me that that is their reason for attending. They said that they didn't really care for dancing but they came to the dances get to know girls, by dancing, and they wished that they could go to more of their church's social gatherings for the same reason.

The other thing I don't like about ECD is the ridiculous attire.
I there to dance or hang out; not to reenact the 1600s. If others want to, that's cool with me.
Also, kilts feel like cross dressing, even though they might not be.

I don't mean to offend anyone.
If you believe I am wrong, please expound. I am not a fountain of knowledge of this topic.

4 comments:

  1. the sole purpose wearing old clothes is to be historically correct when performing, and the women are the ones who like it the most. I personally don't like wearing them that much. I myself don't know of anybody who comes to the dances for the purpose of finding a life partner, so I don't know who you were talking to. the words are from the song " don't waste your life" by Lecrae featuring Dawntoya in the album Rebel. P.S. your posts are good conversation starters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I did not know that the fancy garb was for that purpose. Thanks.
    You probably actually do know the person. Correction: A small group was talking about who actually wanted to get married, and then the person said that he liked dancing to get to know girls better, but he didn't say that it was specifically for marriage, but I assumed that beause I did not see why else he would start talking about dancing right after the previous topic if it had nothing to do with it.
    Correct about the song, artist, and album, but 'Crae did not feature Dawntoya in any song but "Beautiful Feet" from what I know.

    ReplyDelete